Modern problems need modern solutions. With an exponential rise in health ailments of the young and old citizens alike, it has become imperative that we take a hard look at our lifestyles and make sure that they do not contribute to a decline in our health. As a large number of young professionals working in sedentary jobs have become more health conscious, their interest in cooking and eating homemade food has also increased. As we are blessed with an amazingly wide range of options in food preparations right from the North to the South and from the East to the West of India, the average Indian is clearly spoilt for choice. But when it comes to healthy eating, one component that has a reserved spot in every salad of choice is also the one with the most nutrients: lettuce!
Butter lettuce, romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce are very often used in salads or vegan and keto meals of all sorts. Fresh, crispy and easy to eat, lettuce is one of the most popular vegetables in the world. Even kids don’t mind eating the greenish, flavoury leafy vegetable due to its unique taste and fascinating texture. A great way for making your dinner heartier is by mixing up some tofu or cottage cheese with a few lettuce leaves and some sliced veggies with an oil or a savoury sauce dressing. This not only keeps your dinner light and easy to digest but is loaded up with necessary nutrients. The best part about lettuce salads and wraps is their simplicity, which makes them easy to make, even for an amateur!
So stock up your kitchen with some fresh veggies and we’ll show you just how to make a delicious meal out of it:
Veg Lettuce Wraps
- Prep Time: 17 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 27 minutes
If you’re planning to make a healthy meal for the family or even some healthy appetizers for a dinner party, Veg Lettuce Wraps are a great alternative to the usual fried and greasy snacks to serve your guests. And the best part? They’re not just nutritionally balanced, but yummy too! The following recipe makes enough wraps for 3-4 people as a main dish.INGREDIENTS
- 2 butter lettuce heads (or any lettuce that is available)
- 1 ½ cups homemade hummus
- 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced or grated carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced red peppers
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 150 gm noodles
- ¾ cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup tofu or cottage cheese INSTRUCTIONS
1. Boil a pot of water and add some salt to it. Add the noodles to the pot and boil them until they’re almost cooked. Drain the water and let the noodles rest while you prepare the filling.
2. Peel the lettuce leaves from the lettuce head and arrange them onto a platter.
3. Add the thinly sliced carrots, cabbage and red pepper in a bowl and pour the vinegar and salt over it. Toss the mixture well and let it marinate for 10-12 minutes.
4. Heat some oil in a frying pan and stir in the tofu or cottage cheese, onions, sesame seeds and soy sauce. Turn off the gas after 5-7 minutes.
5. Add a tablespoon of hummus on each lettuce leaf and spread it all over. Top a few noodles over it, followed by the mixture of pickled vegetables and onion stir fry. Sprinkle a few more sesame seeds over it for taste.
6. Serve the lettuce wraps as an appetizer or a main course meal. Enjoy!
If you have any leftovers, store the ingredients separately and cook them right before serving. This prevents the veggies from wilting or getting spoilt. Let us know your thoughts about the recipe and if you like it, share, comment and follow our blog and social media pages for more!